A Travellerspoint blog

Hurricane Michael

View Our Journey on Meike Carter's travel map.

We planned to stay in Mayport for a week, but had to cut it short due to hurricane Michael. We were debating on staying put in Mayport, because it looked like we were outside of the predicted path. Sunday night the wind already picked up and rocked the RV more than we expected. After talking to other campers and the people in the office we decided to leave before the storm gets closer. We did not want to sit, wondering if we need to evacuate and certainly did not want to be on the road close to the hurricane making landfall. We packed up Monday morning ( Columbus day) even though we had reservations through Friday and drove on Interstate 10 to Crestview, Fl.
We made that our quick overnight pitstop and continued early on Tuesday morning towards Lafayette, Louisiana. I wanted to visit New Orleans and do some sightseeing, but decided against it. The Interstate was beginning to get crowded and we witnessed several caravans of Electric companies from neighboring states driving east. You could definitely see that the state of Florida was preparing for the worst. We stayed in an RV park in Lafayette right off the Interstate with the intention of getting up early and hitting the road. I went to a local grocery store to get some Louisiana sausage, local rice, dark rue and one of the best bbq sauce I've ever had. We left Frog City RV park around 9 am. The wind had picked up and the sky was gray, more caravans were heading the opposite direction and I 10 was packed.
50 miles east of the Texas border the last band of Michael faded and opened up to a crisp blue sky. I am certain we made the right call by leaving 3 days ahead.

Posted by Meike Carter 12:16

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.